Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Georgia loves her thumb.

It's not a secret that my kids are orally fixated - Georgia with the thumb and Hughie and his beloved binkie. According to their dentist, it's genetic. If mom or dad was a hard-core sucker, chances are the kids will be too. I believe that I sucked my thumb until I was about 10. Even dipping my thumb in chicken poop did not dissuade my devotion! Georgia found her thumb at 2 months old and has been sucking it faithfully ever since. I have to admit that with her colic, I was grateful for anything that would comfort her. I still think one of the reasons she's been such a good sleeper is that thumb. Still, I know she needs to give it up at some point. Last night as I was scratching Georgia's back before bed, she was complaining that her thumb hurt. It was red and raw from sucking and the cold, dry air. After inspecting her thumb, I looked at her and said, "Maybe it's time to stop sucking your thumb?" Georgia's reply? "I'm sucking it FOREVER."


No comments: